Wednesday, April 04, 2007

7K 7 Days a Week

Sometimes it makes you wonder why people just cannot see the little and most commonsense thing that is making them uncomfortable enough that they had to see a doctor. Take this uncle, for example, who came to collect glucosamine from me.

We went through the usual charade of checking for identification and drug allergies before I start explaining to patient what glucosamine is for and how he was suppose to take it. Talk about not judging a book by its cover, uncle obviously had problem understanding me when I tried telling him the glucosamine is to help build up the cartilage in the joints. He went, "Huh?" and asked me what glucosamine is used for. Duh, did I not just explained? If you're thinking he is some ancient who can probably only speak Hokkien, you are so wrong. I am talking about somebody who can speak fluent English, but the word "cartilage" is probably not in his dictionary. Anyway, I went through a slightly longer explanation about the aging process, wear and tear, and "this gel-like thing" that functions like a cushion for our joints whenever we move.

After that he started asking me if glucosamine will give him cramps. It is very important to him that glucosamine should not give him cramps in his legs as he is an avid jogger. "7 klicks 7 days a week," according to the proud declaration from this uncle. Inside of me I went, "Ah... this explains a lot."

7km 7 days a week. Is this uncle crazy?! Any avid jogger knows that jogging is a high impact sport that puts a lot of stress on the joints in the legs. That is why you do not jog everyday, considering your job is not to run a marathon. Man, you got to have days when you just do light jogging of 2-3km or maybe do some other low impact cardio sports eg. swimming or going on an elliptical machine in the gym. Jogging the way he does is going to wear out his cartilage faster than I do when I was playing softball. And he wonders why he needs to take glucosamine... *roll my eyes*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home