Friday, January 19, 2007

You Chicken Shit of an SAF Man

I don't usually like to use crude words such as those referring a fowl's faeces in my blog, but this patient really pissed me off and I just had to let off some steam else I'd become even more dysfunctional than I am now. So here goes the story.

It started with this chicken shit of an SAF (Singapore Armed Forces) man, henceforth referred as CSSAFM, who came to the pharmacy to collect medicine last year. He was holding an Identity Memo for Determination of Fitness (IMDF) letter which he passed to the pharmacist when he collected his medicine. No where in the IMDF letter was it stated that it does not cover medicine, therefore the medicine was dispensed to him without upfront payment.

However, when we submitted a copy of the letter to Mindef (Minstry of Defence of Singapore), the hospital was told, much later, that Mindef would only pay for the consultation, and all the tests done in the course of the consultation. Mindef is absolutely not going to cover the medicine. Okay, that is fine. We can always bill the patient. Things get nasty when CSSAFM received the bill, and he called up to complain and declare that he is not going to pay up for the medicine that he had already consumed and poo-ed out.

His claim was, he checked with the pharmacist if the medicine was covered under the IMDF letter, and was told the medicine is covered under the IMDF. Come on, the stupid letter does not state whether it covers or does not cover medicine, how is the hospital staff expected to know? In fact, when we called up and emailed Mindef to clarify the issue recently, we were told that ALL SAF men should know exactly what is covered and what is not covered under their IMDF letters. That means CSSAFM knew all along that medicine is not covered and he delibrately cashed in on the ignorance of the pharmacist who dispensed to him and then hoped he can get away without paying for the medicine.

When I called him up to inform him that he needs to pay for his medicine, he started blah blah-ing about how it is not fair to expect him to pay up for the medicine since he was told by the pharmacist that it can be claimed under the IMDF. Now, pray tell me, just exactly how fair it is that he quietly cashed in on our ignorance instead of being honest and coming clean with us that he knew that the medicine is not covered under the IMDF. Are we suppose to know the Mindef policies better than him?

See, Mindef's reply to us was if CSSAFM is not satisfied as to why medication is not covered, then he needs to contact the IMDF unit which issued the IMDF letter to him and clarify with them why medication is not covered. When I told him to contact his IMDF unit for clarification, his answer was, "You want me to make all the way down to IMDF and then go around asking why they do not cover the medicine!" Well, if you do not want to, there is always the contact number of the Mindef personnel whom we spoke to and she is most willing to "counsel" you on why you need to make your payment. But of course CSSAFM is too chicken to call. His answer to calling the personnel was, "Why should I be making any calls? You know what? I will think about it and maybe I will talk to the press about this."

Go ahead, and be my guest. Everybody knows you are a CSSAFM. If you ever dare to let the whole nation know that an SAF personnel owes the hospital money, and the reason why you got away with not paying the medicine in the first place was due to your lack of honesty, everyone of us in pharmacy will applaud you.

When I told my brother of this incident, he laughed and say CSSAFM is just too scared to contact his superiors to check why the medicine is not covered. Reason being, he'd be a dead piece of meat before any reasons would be given him. In fact, no reasons would probably be given; dead meat needs no reasons.

Know what? I think I will really make him a dead piece of chicken meat. I believe I have grounds to lodge a complain about him. After all, he did threaten me by saying he will talk to the press. Time to slit the chicken neck and drain the blood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home