Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Because You Are Wasting My Time!

Patient is receiving funds from National Kidney Foundation (NKF) for his medication. The thing about NKF funding is the pharmacy cannot process more than a month's medicine under a single receipt at any one time. This means, if the patient wants to claim 3 months medicine, we have to process it 3 times, all for 1 month's duration of medicine, and charge them under 3 different receipts. Yah, I know this sounds really stupid, but unfortunately, NKF staff cannot do simple mathematics, so they cannot calculate how much the patient is claiming for each month when you lump all the charges under one receipt.

Anyway, I'm not ranting about NKF today. It's the patient's mother that I want to strangle. This is not the first time the patient was collecting his medicine using the NKF fund. Problem comes when he just dropped his Rx at the counter without even letting us photocopy his NKF card (this is another stupid thing, our finance department needs us to submit a copy of the NKF card every time the patient wants to make a claim, and the pharmacy processing program is not able to capture the card's details). Without the card, my tech processed the Rx under a single receipt. The patient only passed me the card when I called his number. Blood pressure started rising. Told the patient he is still underage and I needed his mother to be around before the medicine can be given to him. Also told him to drop his card off with the Rx THE NEXT TIME. My tech was pissed off because it meant she had to reprocess the whole Rx, and it was really busy today.

The poor boy was left to sit forlornly on the sofa for more than an hour while the mother went gallivanting somewhere. Before I started counseling her, I reminded her again that she has to drop off the NKF card with the Rx the next time. She then started to question the patient asking him if he did not show us the card yada yada. Was really pissed off by then. I do not have the time to wait for her to question her son seeing I still have other patients who had to give up their queue for her because she did not turn up when her son's number was called. So, I told her straight off in her face that her son did not show us the card when he dropped off the Rx, and we had to reprocess the Rx. The apology she gave was dripping with sarcasm, and to be frank I really wanted to tell her she was wasting everybody's time.

When I turn away to file the Rx, she actually had the gall to ask why I was angry. Since you are such an inconsiderate retard, let me explain. Because this is not the first time I am reminding you to drop the d*** NKF card with the Rx; the same thing happened the last time. By not doing as you are told, you not only waste the pharmacy staff's time, you also waste other patients' time because while reprocessing your Rx, we cannot process another patient's Rx. Other patients had to wait longer due to your stupidity!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home