Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Not All Malays are Called Ahmad

The bus was super crowded today and when it reached my hospital, I heard this lady saying, "Eh Ahmad, open the front door?" For goodness sake, not all Malays are called Ahmad. Can you imagine people calling you Ah Huay or Ah Lian just because you are a Chinese?

It's the same with this patient who mistook my technician to be a Malay and decided to call her Fatimah without bothering to ask what her name was. She's a Philippino by the way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

or does she mean driver/chauffer? heard my mum refer to them that way before. but i agree, its rude. she can just shout "can open the front door?" at least that's not discriminatory.

tian

August 30, 2006 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh... I think she was calling him Mat (pronounced as Mud), which meant boy or a guy in malay... not Ahmad...

Remember Asli Mat Yoyo, the children malay show in the early 80s? heh

September 21, 2006 11:23 PM  
Blogger Yamosh said...

But I distinctively heard her calling him Ahmad. She was just standing next to me...

October 04, 2006 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home