Saturday, September 19, 2009

Parents... the Dumb Ones

When you work in a paediatric setting long enough you sometimes wonder if Adolf Huxley's Brave New World (sans Soma and orgy) isn't such a bad one to begin with. We allow the bright ones to be sexually productive, and brain-wash the stupid ones into sexually unproductive individuals. Oops... I made an elitist remark, but I am not apologetic about it.

The following conversation happened a few days back when I dispensed a prescription. See if you don't agree with me some parents are really stupid to the extend you wonder if it is such a good thing to let them raise the next generation.

Me: Medicine for XYZ?

Mom: Yes.

Me: Is the address at Blk XXX etc etc?

Mom: No, that's not the correct address?

Me: Was it your old address? This is a common problem, people moved house and they assumed everybody knows they have moved

Mom: No, we've never lived there before.

Me: ?? But your child's name is XYZ?

Mom: Yes.

Me: Then why is the address wrong?

Mom: Er... (at this point the Dad came).

Dad: Oh that's not my child's name. I saw the doctor key under the wrong name just now.

Me: Huh?! Then what's your child's name? And why didn't you tell the doctor on the spot that it is the wrong name?

Dad: (passes me his child's appointment card) Oh I thought it was the doctor's name. in case you think this is an acceptable reason, the wrong patient name clearly belongs to a female (if you disagree, show me a male named Claire), and the doctor is male.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Male doctor in my area named Claire XYZ. Pediatrician too. But I get your point anyway. :)

September 19, 2009 1:24 PM  
Blogger Carissa said...

I tend to stand in line behind people like that...for shame, hehe.

November 16, 2009 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just happened upon your blog and really it shocked me. I'm curious as to why you stay in a profession in which you seemingly loathe the people you serve. Sure, patients/families may be frustrating but your remarks are quite rude. I am a nurse and customer of the pharmacy frequently, I'm certainly glad you are not my pharmacist.

Regards,
Sheila

January 16, 2010 3:58 AM  
Blogger Judloved said...

Yeah Right, like that’ll ever happen. You tell the insurance company it’ll cost them 1 dollar if their covered patient doesn’t pick up their script, and they’ll say FUCK YOU, we’ll mail it to them from our Giganto Mail Order Pharmacy directly, or just deal with your competitors who won’t charge us (certainly not in any type of anti-trust way). And counseling, we have a DOCTOR (PharmD) on hot-line standby, ready to answer all their questions ( average wait time today is 45 minutes.

Judith Delgado
Findrxonline.com

August 22, 2011 11:49 PM  
Blogger mxvi said...

For me i think they must be serious always because they might loose concentration on their work. pharmacy colleges .

October 04, 2011 9:54 AM  
Blogger CatCat said...

Tsk tsk what will we expect for the next generation that will be raised by these parents, eh? Tragic.

Thanks for the share,
Cathy@nurse scrubs

February 27, 2012 2:43 PM  
Blogger Yamosh said...

@Sheila RN: I think before making comments about me being rude, you need to observe me dispensing to my patients. Because what I write here were my thoughts and not necessarily the actual words that I told the patient/caregiver.

@Richard: Thanks for sharing.

@Pharmgirll: I chanced upon the Angry Pharmacist blog when I started this blog and I think things seem to be worse overseas especially US where they get harassed by patients over their soma and opioids. Over here in Singapore if we suspect the patient is a drug addict we can just call the police in to investigate.

February 12, 2013 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home