Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sometimes They Make You Smile

I'm reflecting on what I have done for the past 3+ yrs as a pharmacist, and thinking back on the patients that I have counseled. Though I mostly ranted and raved about the stupid patients, I never did mention those who made me smile or those whose actions touched me. They do exist, mind you, so this post is dedicated to them.

I thank you when you offered to buy me tea as a sign of appreciation of the effort I put into counseling you on your medication and to write down all the instructions in Chinese so you can understand your medicine better.

I thank you when out of concern you asked me if I had my lunch and looked appalled when I told you I still had not had lunch at 3PM.

I thank you when you patiently waited for me to dispense your child's discharge medicine. When I apologised for making you wait till 2PM, I felt tears in my eyes when you said, "It's okay, I know you are alone in running all the pediatric wards."

I want to laugh when you side with me against the stupid patients and whispered to me as if we were in some conspiracy some gossips about the stupid patients.

I appreciate it when you help us scold the unreasonable patients.

I thank you when you tell me to take my time to process your prescription because there are many items to pack.

I am touched that you always greet me by my name and ask me how my day is or how I have been.

I want to laugh when you tell me your IC number the moment you appear at my counter without me asking for it. You grin from ear to ear feeling triumphant because you have anticipated what I wanted to ask.

All in all, thank you for making my job little more bearable after being tortured by the tons of stupid patients. You keep me sane. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home